The first time you become a mother, you encounter a lot of embarrassment. You may not know how to shampoo babies so that water does not get into their eyes. Let’s choose shampoos for babies so as not to dry their scalp.
The first time you bathe your baby can make you a little confused when you do not know how to be safe and clean. In this article. We will teach you how to shampoo babies and how to choose a proper shampoo for your baby’s health and scalp.
When should mothers wash babies’ hair?
Similar to bathing your baby, shampooing should be done at regular intervals. Bathe your baby before naptime or early in the afternoon when siesta wakes up.
Note that washing your baby’s hair too often can take away the natural oils from his scalp. This can cause the baby’s scalp to become dry, more sensitive, affecting health. Sometimes, you just need to take a towel dipped in clean, warm water and wipe your baby’s head is enough. If the weather is hot and your child is sweating or you have just taken him out to play, he should shampoo your baby to stay hygienic.
Tell mom how to wash hair for babies
One of the most important things that first-time moms worry about is shampooing their newborn baby so that the water does not get into the baby’s eyes and during the shampooing process, don’t let the baby slip. the baby cried violently. Follow the instructions below to make sure you bathe and shampoo your baby properly and safely:
Before shampooing your baby, what should mom prepare?
Before shampooing the baby, the mother needs to prepare all items such as shampoo, cotton towels (2 pieces: 1 large, 1 small), a water scoop, a seat of moderate height, clothes, and diapers clean to replace your baby as soon as you have finished bathing. This helps you not to waste time searching for furniture while bathing your baby.
Remove the jewelry you’re wearing: rings, bracelets (with details that easily cause scratches), watches … because they can scratch your baby’s skin while you bathe and wash your baby.
Also, you should regularly trim your nails and file neatly to avoid scratching your child’s skin while caring or playing with your baby. Make sure you wash your baby in a clean, airy place without direct drafts. Therefore, moms should turn off the fan and air-conditioner before bathing, shampooing the baby.
Appropriate water temperature for bathing: If you don’t have a thermometer to measure bath water, dip your elbow into the bathwater to check the temperature of the water. Divide shower water into 2 tubs to facilitate bathing.
Spread a towel on the bed or floor, lay your baby on a towel, take off his / her clothes/diapers. Next, you use a thin, small cotton towel wrapped around the baby. This will not only keep your baby from getting cold while shampooing but will also help you to keep your baby better.
How to shampoo babies should proceed like?
After you have fully prepared the above steps, you:
- You sit on a chair, hold your baby in a pose with his head and shoulders (hugging position), his buttocks rest on one side of your knee.
- You apply water to the baby’s head to wet the hair and scalp and then take a little shampoo gently rub all over the baby’s head.
- If your baby “resists” washing their hair by crying, struggling, waving their arms and legs, give your child a bath toy or sing a song that you still sing. This may partly help to reduce the baby’s attention to bathing.
- To prevent water from getting into your baby’s eyes, lower his or her head and shoulders arms a little lower than his back and buttocks. For babies who are a little older (know how to sit or walk) and are afraid of tears in their eyes when washing their hair, you can buy a baby shampoo chair or a shampoo cap for your baby to use.
When shampooing your baby, you should note the following:
- You should wash your baby’s hair gently because the scalp is quite thin. You should only use the meat at the tip of your finger to wash your baby’s hair. Besides, you should avoid using nails because it can scratch your baby’s scalp.
- With babies, their tender spots are still quite soft, so be careful when you wash your baby’s hair, absolutely do not press the baby’s font.
- Don’t let your baby’s head get wet for too long: You should wash your baby’s hair quickly, and then wipe it dry with a clean, soft cotton towel. This prevents the baby from getting cold.
- After washing your baby’s hair, you should bathe your baby right away to prevent him from soaking in the water for too long.
How to shampoo babies when their hair is tangled
Shampooing your baby can become a challenge for many first time parents. Especially when your hair is too thin or too long, thick, and easily tangled.
How to wash hair for babies with thin hair
If your baby has too little hair, you should only wash your baby’s hair once or twice a week. The reason is that washing your baby’s hair too often can wash away the natural oils on the skin that make the scalp dry, easy to peel off dandruff.
However, you still need to pay attention to keep your baby’s scalp clean. Therefore, on hot days, use a clean towel soaked in warm water to wipe your child’s head.
How to shampoo babies when their hair is long, thick and easy to tangle
Shampooing a pet with very long and thick hair or curly hair can be a challenge for first-time parents. The reason is that if you do not know how to wash your baby’s hair properly, it will make your baby’s hair easy to tangle.
Tip for shampooing for babies with long, thick or curly hair is when shampooing your baby, you should avoid rubbing your baby hair too much. Besides, use shampoos that help to smooth hair or shampoo combined with a conditioner specifically for children to wash their children. After washing your hair, use a wet washcloth to dry the hair instead.
Also, if your baby’s long, thick hair is constantly tangled, making it difficult to bathe, consider cutting your child’s hair.
How to shampoo babies when they don’t like to wash their hair
The fact is that not every baby is interested in bathing. Especially with babies who have had water in their eyes and shampoo. Therefore, if your baby is crying, struggling, or trying to resist when bathing and washing his hair, he is not isolated.
In this case, distract your child by giving him a toy, massaging him before taking a bath to feel comfortable, and getting used to this hygiene.
Also, you should:
- Bathe and wash your baby for a set period, as quickly as possible
- If your baby is afraid of being splashed on water, dip a towel in the water and gently wet his hair.
How to choose a shampoo shower gel for babies
You should only use baby shower gel or shampoo to bathe your baby, absolutely do not use adult products. Choose a baby showering product that is gentle, fragrance-free, with a pH range of 4.5-6.
Besides, you should choose shower gel, shampoo for babies of big reputable brands. The reason is that the products of these brands are carefully researched before being launched into the market.
Frequently asked questions around infant shampooing
- When to start using infant shampoos?
The fact that babies do not need to use shampoos to wash their hair unless the scalp is seborrheic dermatitis. In normal circumstances, you should only use shampoo when your baby is about 6-8 weeks old.
- If your baby has too little or no hair, do they need shampooing?
Pregnancy hormones or genetic factors can cause a baby to be born with a “bald” head. However, your scalp still needs care. Wash your baby’s hair once a week with clean water. While washing your baby’s hair, pay attention to the water so it does not get into his eyes.