Teaching a child to use a sewing machine helps them to learn how to concentrate. Sewing helps the children to learn life skills and creativity and it’s also the best stress buster for them. They design clothes and helps them to be content with what they have. We recommend teaching and use a sewing machine at the age of 6.
They will require supervision to prevent potential mishaps from happening. Teaching the kids to stitch at the early stage helps them to have finger coordination and also brings creativity. Children enjoy sewing because of the colors and patterns and innovation involved. It is hard work to find a sewing machine suitable for your child. It is easy to choose the cheapest and cutest model.
However, many of these breakdowns during the first few months of usage hence selecting the best sewing machine for your kid are the hardest part. If your child is interested in sewing. It is in your best interest to find him or her a reliable as easy and safe to use sewing machine hence here are some of the best sewing machines for your reference.
Kinds of sewing machines
- Mini sewing machine
- Mini hand sewing machine
- Handheld sewing portable machine
- Traditional sewing machine
- Lightweight children’s sewing machine
- Free arm sewing machines
- Computerized sewing machine
- Free arm crafting and mending machine
You can find a good quality sewing machine with all the basic stitches at a lesser price. At the initial stage, don’t buy an expensive machine for your kid but make sure they have a warranty.
What features should you look at before buying a sewing machine?
A simple, reliable, and user-friendly sewing machine is more than enough as a beginner for your kid without compromising on safety. But make sure it has many inbuilt verities of stitches as children become bored easily.
It should be a beginner’s model, which has the basic stitch types and this allows your child to develop easily their skills without overwhelming them.
Things to remember before buying a sewing machine
- Feet peddle—the presser will either snap-on or attached with a screw. For kids, you will always want a peddle attached to the machine in this way it will stay in one place.
- Speed — when using the push button model, the machine will be inconsistent speed. This will allow for the garments made with precision and will not take away the control that lost when using a foot pedal.
- Weight — depending on your child’s age and size, the weight of the machine is a major consideration. If your child is a beginner, it is best to start with a lightweight machine so it will be comfortable to use it.
- Warranty — kids always have the habit of breaking even the most expensive model of equipment. Safeguarding your investments is always necessary to keep things under warranty.
When choosing the best sewing machine for your kids you should always look for many of the same features you look for in an adult sewing machine, just like:
- Sturdy and well built
- Simple function
- Easy to use
- Many designs
How to choose the right sewing machine for a kid?
You will find many kids sewing machine in the market but most of these are toys which are not worth buying. Toy sewing machine attracts your kid’s eyes because they are bright colorful and contain cartoon stickers around and they are very cheap too.
One of the biggest complaints about toy sewing machine is that their stitches are weak and easily comes out and sometimes even overlaps. Ultimately, it’s best to buy a real sewing machine so that your child learns the stitches properly. And after crossing the beginner’s stage when your child uses a bigger sewing machine, he or she might not feel difficult. Choosing a smaller machine for your child is ideal because they are usually
- Considerably lighter
- Less expensive
- Easier to learn the basic
- Come with lid friendly safety features
- Safer to use
Tips to improve your child’s sewing skills
Whenever your child shows interest in crafting especially sewing it is important to encourage and nurture that interest without overwhelming or frustrating your kid.
There are many pros and corns to a sewing machine they are
- The sewing machine must be inexpensive and reliable
- Many stitching options
- Must be easy to use
- It must have an easy threading system
- Automatic bobbin winder system must be available
- Watch over the threading tips
- It must have a heavy-duty metal frame
- High-pressure foot lift
- Automatic reverse sewing option
- Speed control dial must be easy to use
- The inbuilt stitching options
- Check out for 7 buttonhole styles
- Must be a portable design and easy to handle for the kids
- Battery powered options must also be available
- Thread tension control
These are the most important features kept In mind before buying a sewing machine. Most of the sewing machines come with a CD which explains all the features and also guides you with the designs.
Getting your kid a sewing machine is the best decision because this helps your child to do the thing on their own and makes them independent, and most of these kids are very much creative.
At the earlier stage, it is important to have supervision, but after the age of 8; the kid does things on their own, which involves less adult supervision. Hence teaching them these life skills is a part of parenting.
The art of sewing is losing with the younger generation. Kids that start sewing are learning a life skill. This skill will allow them the creative freedom to sew their clothes or even make an outfit for their pet to design an outfit for them.
Kids that learn to sew at a younger age will have greater respect for the art and will understand the safety measures needed for life. Kids that start earlier in life learn to protect their fingers from the presser foot and have an overall higher level of safety than a kid that started at an old age.
Also, the earlier someone starts the more time they will have to enhance their skills and gain confidence. Try to involve some new projects so that your child keeps himself or herself entertained. This helps your child to be independent and all these features must be kept in mind before you buy the best sewing machine for your kid.